Wednesday, December 9, 2009

24 hours and counting ...


Hello and welcome to my rather impromptu live blog of the launch of the apple iPhone in Uganda.

I have always read and followed live blogs of product launches ever since the ubiquitous two-day queue's at the Fifth Avenue store in the big apple prior to the launch of the 1st gen iPhone. I have always wanted to queue up along with the other fanboys (Read: Geeks!) as we await to get our hands on some sleek apple embezzeled hardware.

Well, this is as close as it gets. I won't have a camping bag and wait over night with some Oreo's and Milk, ahh...no. I already have an iPhone so this sin't exactly a "launch". But rather, I intend on sneaking in for the press launch and hoepfully I'll get some of my questions answered.

I hardly doubt Steve or Phil will show up at a launch in a tiny East African country and woo the crowd with their charisma, but hey, apple is always full of suprises.

It all goes down in 24hours at exactly 0800hrs at the Orange Telecom HeadOffice in Nakasero, Kampala, Uganda.

As a footnote, or closing comment, I must say Orange are surely the best candidate to carry the iPhone in Uganda for one small personal reason.

I'm not even on the Orange network, but I do recall once and again walking past an Orange dealership and how it reminded me of the apple stores in Sandton mall in Jo'burg, which are world class and look just like the apple stores world wide.

As uncluttered as possible, with attendants wearing T-Shirts that also are uncluttered as possible usually plain white and sporting the apple logo or just plain.

The guys here at Orange have plain black tee shirts with a big "hello" on the front and a discreet orange logo on the sleeve. You could almost swear you were in an apple store if it wsant for one small detail that would never pass in an apple store.

The attendants here don one size fits all tee-shirts!!

I don't know how the apple guys do it,(attention to detail) but all staff have right size fitting tee shirts. Here its ...well, not as pleasant a sight especially for the skinny dude in a big tee unless ofcourse if the attendant is remisiscent of Anna Nicole Smith in the chest are and is donning a small teeshirt ... the "hello" imprinted on her shirt is suddenly alot more welcoming!!

Obrigadas!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!!!! Great writing, someone just forwarded this link to me. Imagine the coincidence!
    See you tomorrow I guess? X
    B

    ReplyDelete